A Privacy Impact Assessment is an analysis of how information is handled: (i) to ensure handling conforms to applicable legal, regulatory, and policy requirements regarding privacy, (ii) to determine the risks and effects of collecting, maintaining and disseminating information in identifiable form in an electronic information system, and (iii) to examine and evaluate protections and alternative processes for handling information to mitigate potential privacy risks.
- Section 208 of the E-Government Act of 2002 requires federal agencies to ensure sufficient protections for the privacy of personal information. Section 208 of the E-Government Act of 2002 also establishes Government-wide requirements for reviewing, and disseminating PII by requiring a PIA of all Information Technology (IT) systems.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) Chief Information Officer issued an update to DoD Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) Guidance DoD Instruction NUMBER 5400.16, dated February 12, 2009, directing that PIAs be performed on systems that contain PII on Federal personnel, DoD contractors and, in some cases, Foreign Nationals.
- WHS is required to publish a DoD Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) (Section 1 and 2) for WHS Information Technology (IT) systems. PIAs ensure individuals' PII is collected in electronic form only when necessary. See the list under the tab labeled "PIAs for WHS Systems" for WHS systems.
For additional information on the DoD PIA Program, visit DoD CIO PIA.
- Adjudications Records and Management System (ARMS) and ARMS Customer Access
- Defense Sexual Assault Incident Database (DSAID) System
- Digital Mail Modernization (DMM) System
- Enterprise Correspondence Control System (ECCS)
- Enterprise Non-classified Internet Protocol Router Network (NIPRNET)
- Enterprise Support Portal (ESP)
- Interactive Customer Evaluation (ICE) System
- Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) System
- Mass Transportation Benefit Program (MTBP)
- Performance Appraisal Tracking Application (PATA)
- Senior Executive Service (SES) Titles
- WHS Allotment and Accounting System (WAAS)
- WHS Freedom of Information Act Xpress/Public Access Link (FOIAXpress/PAL)