WHS offers extensive executive and administrative management services to its customers, including the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), providing consultation, design, management, production, tracking, and reporting services.
You are here
Executive and Administrative
To reserve a meeting space in the Pentagon Library and Conference Center or the Mark Center Conference Center, please sign into the Pentagon/Mark Center Conference Center Resource Scheduler (CAC required)
WHS manages policies and processes for correspondence of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense. WHS controls documents, researches, and provides archival and retrieval services.Additional information is available on the Correspondence Management website.
WHS develops and maintains DoD policy and oversees the preparation, coordination, approval, publication, and preservation of DoD issuances (Directives, Instructions, Manuals, Directive-Type Memorandums, and Administrative Instructions) used to codify the DoD’s foundational policies, assignment of responsibilities, and delegations of authority to implement Federal law, Executive orders, Secretary of Defense and Presidential Directives. Additional information is available on the
DoD Directives Program website.
WHS manages the Federal Docket Management System (FDMS), www.regulations.gov. This system gives Federal agencies and citizens the ability to submit comments on proposed federal regulations. In addition, agencies and citizens can search, view, and download comments on proposed regulations, final regulations, notices and other information. The FDMS implements the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act which requires agencies to accept comments electronically and make information, including comments and rulemaking materials, publicly available online.
WHS implements the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) policy throughout the DoD. WHS processes FOIA requests for OSD/JA, assists other FOIA offices with litigation, and adjudicates FOIA appeals. WHS prepares Annual Reports, and operates a FOIA Public Liaison Service and FOIA Hotline. Additional information is available on the DoD FOIA website.
- DoD Forms Management — WHS maintains the official version of Department of Defense (DD) and Secretary of Defense (SD) forms. WHS establishes policies and procedures for the DoD Forms Management Program. DoD forms satisfy a valid need; essential to accomplish a mission and necessary for the efficient and economical operation of the DoD. Additional information is available on the DoD Forms Management Program website.
- DoD Internally-Generated Information Collections Program — WHS oversees the Secretary of Defense initiative to manage, control, license, and track all DoD internally-generated information collections to ensure resources are efficiently executed to prevent redundant and obsolete information collection requirements.
- DoD Public Collection Program — WHS provides a listing of approved, under review, and recently expired public information collections. WHS provides guidance for processing public information collection requests for approval by the Office of Management and Budget in accordance with the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act. Public information collections are collections of information where 10 or more public respondents are involved and the questions are standardized in nature. Additional information is available on the DoD Public Collection Program website.
- DoD Regulatory Program — WHS provides a listing of DoD rules and guidance for processing rules and notices for publication in the Federal Register and codification in the Code of Federal Regulations. Rules apply to and have legal affect on the public. Notices announce information of public interest, such as meetings or a statement of availability. Additional information is available on the DoD Regulatory Program website.
WHS processes inbound and outbound official mail for the Pentagon and Mark Center, and manages the Digital Delivery of Mail Program (DDMP).
WHS provides design, and production services for the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), DoD Field Activities, Defense agencies, and DoD commissions and task forces. Its services include exhibit design, production, and maintenance; visual aids for briefings and presentations; agency branding, including logo and web page design; electronic prepress for books, reports, and a variety of other publications; indoor and outdoor signage production; and special presentation services, including the set-up of public displays for Pentagon special events. Additional information is available on the OSD Graphics web site.
WHS oversees and administers the Records Management Program, Declassification & Historical Research Program for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and related agencies and components. Additional information is available on the OSD Records Management website.
- Research Services — WHS manages the Pentagon Library, which provides research services to Department of Defense personnel working at the Pentagon and in the National Capital Region. Experienced reference librarians assist with informational and in-depth research queries. Staff members assist with interlibrary loans, desktop access to electronic content, and orientation to library policies, programs, and services. Workstations are available to registered members for online research.
- Physical and Virtual Collections — WHS manages the Pentagon Library, which acquires print and electronic books, technical reports, government and military documents, periodicals, DVDs, audio books, atlases, and legislative materials in the following areas: Military Arts and Science, Naval Science, Military History, Policy Making, International Law, Political Science, Leadership and Management, Law and Legislation, Organizational and Behavioral Psychology, Speech Writing and Training, Travel, and Foreign Languages. The virtual library also provides full text access to books and reports, scholarly and professional articles, military regulations, and commercial and government databases.
- Circulation — WHS manages the Pentagon Library, which provides circulating materials that can be checked out for two weeks at a time. Registered members may use the online catalog at www.whs.mil/library to reserve items for pickup at the Circulation Desk, or to renew materials. Library staff members are available to answer questions, and assist authorized personnel with membership and registration.
- Programs and Events — WHS manages the Pentagon Library, which frequently hosts guest authors, speakers, and trainers; and arranges other special events. Notices of special events are posted at www.whs.mil/library, the “WHS Pipeline” newsletter, and InfoNet displays throughout the Pentagon and Conference Center.
WHS implements the Plain Writing Act of 2010 to improve DoD’s internal and external effectiveness and accountability by promoting clear communications; monitors and reports on DoD implementation and compliance, and solicits and responds to public inquiries concerning the Plain Writing Act. Additional information is available on the DoD Plain Writing website.
WHS supports the protection of National Security by conducting prepublication security and policy reviews for clearance of unclassified information proposed for official public release. These reviews, conducted on behalf of the Secretary of Defense, preclude the release of classified or sensitive information and make accurate, unclassified information available to the public and Congress, to clarify Defense strategy and national security issues. These include:
- Prepublication review of manuscripts and books
- Congressional reviews of testimony and President’s budget-related information
- Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) statutorialy mandated reviews
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) technical data reviews
WHS implements the DoD Privacy Program throughout the Offices of the Secretary of Defense and Joint Staff (OSD/JS). WHS assists OSD/JS Component Privacy offices and program managers with developing documentation required by statute and regulation and adjudicating Privacy appeals. WHS prepares quarterly and annual reports.