The Human Resources Directorate (HRD) provides human resources services for executive, political, military, and civilian personnel; performs security investigations and clearances; conducts adjudications and appeals; and manages the various voluntary campaign programs, e.g., the annual DoD Combined Federal Campaign.
Expanded resources and additional information on Human Resources Directorate services is available to authorized CAC holders on the HRD Employee and Customer Resources page.
DoD 2017 Presidential Transition Publications
The Handbook for Departing Officials provides preliminary guidance to outgoing political appointees, non-career Senior Executive Service officials, and Schedule C appointees, throughout the Department of Defense. This Handbook is designed to provide a convenient, ready reference to tool to assist you in planning, shaping, and executing an orderly transition from Federal Service into a new public service role or private life. The topics covered here provide basic need to know information related the essential activities that must be accomplished prior to, and following, your departure from Federal Service.
The Handbook for Incoming Officials provides preliminary guidance to incoming political appointees in the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD). The topics covered will help you become familiar with basic information about:
- Requirements for becoming an official with access to the Pentagon,
- Matters related to security and force protection, ethics and standards of conduct;
- Parking, official travel, and office matters such as mail, correspondence, and equipment;
- Federal benefits options, compensation and pay, medical services, programs;
- Frequently used DoD terms and acronyms; and
- A bird's eye view of some of the services available at the Pentagon.
The Pentagon Welcome Book provides all Pentagon employees with a detailed reference guide to the services found within the 200-acre complex. The chapters provided will help you become familiar with basic information about the following services:
- Pentagon Access
- Navigating the Pentagon
- Services for People with Disabilities
- Pentagon Security
- Services and Amenities
- Medical Facilities
- Pentagon Tours and Memorials
The attached DoD Points of Contact list includes the Washington Headquarters Services/Department of Defense Transition Support Office, Office of the Secretary of Defense Senior Administrative Officers, and OSD/WHS functional subject matter experts. Individuals working for the Military Departments, Components, and organizations not serviced by WHS should contact their organizational administrative officer or appropriate servicing functional office (i.e. ethics, human resources, security.
- 2017 Transition Office POC's
- Senior Administrative Officers
- Service Providers/Subject Matter Experts
- Important Websites for Additional Information
Outreach and Special Employment Programs
WHS provides resources for individuals interested in a career with the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Defense Field Activities and WHS, including information concerning employment programs for students, recent graduates, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. People who are interested should go to the Careers with WHS page.
Performance, Incentives, and Awards
- Civilian Honorary Awards and Incentives – WHS administers an honorary and incentive awards program to recognize employees for above-standard performance, achieved through suggestions, inventions, superior accomplishments, or other personal efforts that contribute to the efficiency, economy, or other improvement of Government operations. For more information, authorized CAC holders may visit the Awards page.
- Joint Military Awards and Decorations – WHS manages the OSD Defense/Joint Awards program recognizing the accomplishments of military service members assigned to joint positions in organizations within the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Defense Agencies and Field Activities. For more information, authorized CAC holders may visit the Awards page.
- Performance Ratings and Ratings-Based Awards – WHS manages a performance appraisal program utilizing a systematic process that managers and supervisors can use to evaluate, measure, and reward an individual employee's work performance as it relates to the achievement of the overall goals and mission of the organization. For more information, authorized CAC holders may visit the Awards page.
Personnel Security and Adjudication Process
WHS processes employment/personnel security nominations for sensitive and non-sensitive positions. WHS reciprocates existing clearances with other Federal agencies, issues interim clearances, and initiates personnel security investigations with the Office of Personnel Management. For additional information, authorized CAC holders may visit the Personnel Security Operations page.
Training and Education
WHS encourages employees to engage in training and career development by providing tools such as:
- Web-based Training
- In-house Training
- Leadership Development Opportunities
For additional information, authorized CAC holders may visit the Training and Development page.
The Department of Defense's current employees (civilian and military) and former employees (retired military, retired civilians and separated) can use the Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service page to obtain employment or salary verification information.
Lenders, Social Service Agency Representatives, Landlords, and any other third party MUST work through the employee to obtain employment and/or salary verification information.
Mr. Christopher A. Kapellas was appointed the Director, Human Resources Directorate on July 27, 2015. In this position he manages the Washington Headquarters Services (WHS) human resources activities and provides human resources and personnel security services to diverse clientele — OSD and other serviced Defense Agencies and DoD Field Activities. His responsibilities include human resources servicing for approximately 6,000 civilians and over 2,800 military personnel along with associated personnel security operations.
In March 2013, Mr. Kapellas was appointed to the Senior Executive Service and assigned as Deputy Director, Human Resources Directorate. Previously, Mr. Kapellas held positions in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Comptroller and Chief Financial Officer as a senior budget analyst working Overseas Contingency Operations appropriations matters, and in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy as the Acting Deputy Director for Enterprise Services, as the Director, Human Capital, and as the Director, Executive Secretariat. Before serving the Department of Defense as a civil servant, Mr. Kapellas was an Active duty Air Force colonel serving in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Affairs as the Senior Military Assistant.
Mr. Kapellas holds a master’s degree in Political Science from Midwestern State University, Texas; and a Bachelors Degree in Far Eastern Area Studies from the United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, graduating as the outstanding cadet in a far eastern language; Chinese. Mr. Kapellas is also a graduate of Air Command and Staff College and the Air War College, Alabama, and the Federal Executive Institute.