How do agencies leverage diversity and maximize its potential advantages? One way is by developing multicultural awareness, knowledge, and skills. This development should take place at an individual and organizational level. On a personal level, you may wish to consider the following questions:
- How does your own cultural background influence your thinking and behaving?
- What cultures do you least understand and why?
- In what ways have you trained yourself to work with culturally different individuals?
- Can you be nonjudgmental toward those whose beliefs are profoundly different from your own?
- Do you lead and manage individuals without knowing about their cultural attitudes, values and backgrounds?
- Can you explain why employees from a minority group might be reluctant to seek feedback from you?