Upcoming Events and Key Milestones
The Navy Annex demolition project officially began in November 2012. The schedule of key events and milestones is posted below. Washington Headquarters Services (WHS) will post updates to the schedule as they are released in an effort to keep members of the community informed.
The 42 acres once occupied by the Navy Annex (also known as FOB2), the Navy Exchange Service Station, and associated parking lots have been demolished with all improvements removed from the property. The land will be restored to open green space for use by Arlington National Cemetery. An environmental assessment found no significant direct, indirect, or cumulative effects on the quality of the natural or human environment as a result of this project.
WHS, along with project partners, held a community Town Hall Meeting prior to the demolition to provide further details of the plan and address any concerns expressed by residents of the Foxcroft Heights community. WHS is committed to providing the latest information to the community throughout the duration of the project to minimize inconveniences to residents.
If you have any questions, please Contact WHS.
- August 27, 2012 - The contract for the demolition of the Navy Annex was awarded to Corinthian Contractors, Inc. and DSI
- October 2, 2012 - Corinthian Contractors Inc. and DSI took control of the Navy Annex property from the Government in order to begin the demolition process
- October 2012 - Assessment of facility began
- November 15, 2012 - Community Town Hall
- November - December 2012 - Abatement of hazardous material begins in Wing 1
- November - December 2012 - Demolition of Wing 1 began
- December 2012 - June 2013 - Demolition of the rest of wings continued following this pattern: Abatement of hazardous material then Demolition commences
- January - May 2013 - Removal of parking lot and underground utilities transiting the property
- January - May 2013 - Former gas station parcel removal of underground utilities transiting the property
- May - August 2013 - Initial grading of former parking lot and gas station
- August 2013 - All wings of Facility are removed. Removal of parking lot & underground utilities transiting the property began
- September - November 2013 - Verification process to ensure all the man-made improvements have been removed begins
- November - December 2013 - Hydro seeding and final grading of site
- November - December 2013 - Contractors return site to Washington Headquarters Services
- January 2014 - Army interim acceptance of work contracted by Washington Headquarters Services
- January 2014 - Official transfer of land control of the building parcel and the Air Force Memorial parcel from Department of Army to Arlington National Cemetery
- March - May 2014 - Follow-up work to ensure growth of turf and meadows
- May 2014 - Official transfer of land control of the parking lot parcel and the gas station parcel from Department of Army to Arlington National Cemetery
- May 2014 - Army acceptance of remaining work contracted by Washington Headquarters Services
** Disclaimer: This schedule is subject to change based on the dynamic nature of the demolition process. It will be updated on this site as needed throughout the demolition process.